Carlisle cyclist illegally had knife in his bag

A CYCLIST who was pulled from his bike by a police officer because he refused to stop when he was asked to have a knife in his bag.

But the defense lawyer representing Carlisle man Desmond Young, 29, said that he had the knife because he had earlier confiscated it from his mother while she was in crisis and at risk of harming herself.

At the city’s Rickergate court, the defendant – who has two previous convictions for illegal knife possession – admitted having no reasonable excuse for having the kitchen knife in a public place.

Prosecutor George Shelley outlined how the police officer who stopped the defendant wanted to speak to him in relation to an investigation.

The officer, who had been called out to the area because of an issue involving the defendant’s mother, saw him cycling along Stanhope Road in Carlisle and asked him to stop.

Despite being asked to stop a couple of times, Young attempted to swerve past the officer.

“But the officer got hold of the defendant and hauled him off the bike, taking him to the ground where he was able to restrain him and arrest him,” said Mr. Shelley.

“While he was in custody, his Sports Direct bag was searched and a kitchen knife with a four-inch blade was recovered.”

Mr Shelley said the defendant, of Balfour Road, Carlisle, told police he had the knife because he had removed it from his mother’s home ‘for her safety’ because she was feeling suicidal.

The prosecutor added that Young had convictions for illegal knife possession which dated back to 2016 and earlier this year.

Mark Shepherd, defending, said the offense happened in unusual circumstances, but they did not amount to a defense against the charge. “This started out with the best of intentions,” said Mr. Shepherd.

Young was motivated by a desire to stop his mother harming herself while she was in crisis, said the lawyer.

“He remains glad he did what he did,” continued Mr. Shepherd. But the defendant should have informed the police officer about the knife and why it was in his bag before handing it over to an officer.

Mr. Shepherd went on to outline that Young had his own mental health issues, having been diagnosed with PTSD which stemmed from him witnessing “an horrific” event a decade ago.

Since that time, Young’s mental health had periodically dipped and he had reacted by “self-medicating” with drink and drugs. “He needs support when he is released,” added Mr. Shepherd.

District Judge John Temperley noted that it was Young’s third conviction for illegal knife possession. He jailed the defendant for 30 weeks and imposed a £187 victim surcharge.

Back to top button