The combine is staying put in Indianapolis.
The 2023 and 2024 NFL Scouting Combines will be in the Indiana state capital, the league announced Tuesday during the Spring League Meeting in Atlanta.
“After a close review by our internal team, the Fan Engagement and Major Events Advisory Committee, and the National Invitational Camp staff, Indianapolis remains the best city to host and grow the NFL Combine in 2023 and 2024,” said Peter O’Reilly, NFL executive vice president of club business and league events. “Indy’s vision brings together its long legacy of successfully hosting the Combine and executing the evaluation process, with an exciting focus on innovating and further growing the event from a fan and media perspective.”
Speaking to the media on Tuesday, Commissioner Roger Goodell said the decision to keep the combine in Indy was a nod to how well the city has handled hosting the event along. There’s also an onus on the continued improved of medical evaluations and staying in a familiar setting expediates that process.
“I think it’s one, a recognition that Indianapolis really values the combine,” Goodell said. “Also, that they’ve done a terrific job on it. I think people are comfortable with that opportunity, because we’ve done it for so long. And we’re also really focused on how we improve the medical evaluations of athletes. is probably our primary focus right now and making sure that we do that is effectively possible for, obviously all the clubs, but probably more importantly the players themselves. “
Rumblings of the combine moving locations have persisted for much of the last year, so much so that it became a common topic of discussion in and around the 2022 NFL Scouting Combine during the week in Indianapolis. Colts general manager Chris Ballard even opened his press conference at the combine by combining those in charge of organizing the event before intentionally pointing out the uncertainty surrounding its future in Indianapolis and strongly praising the city for its ability to host it.
“It’s great to be back, and can’t have a better city to do it in,” Ballard said in early March. “We’ll see where it ends up in the future, but I’d be hard-pressed to find another city that does it any better.”
Indianapolis began hosting the combine in 1987 at what was then known as the Hoosier Dome before shifting to Lucas Oil Stadium in 2009. The city has continued to do so every year since then, save for the 2021 combine, which was canceled due to the COVID -19 pandemic.
“Indy is a city built to host major sporting events, and I’m proud the Combine will continue to stay in our city,” Colts owner Jim Irsay said on Tuesday’s announcement.
The 2022 combine marked the return of the event, but with the rumors of the league considering holding it elsewhere in the coming years – much like the NFL Draft has become a traveling show – the uncertainty could not be avoided during the week spent in Indianapolis. Tuesday’s news alleviates such concern for the next two years, keeping the combine in the only city it has known since the Reagan Administration.
“We know many cities want to host the NFL Combine, and we’re incredibly appreciative of the NFL continuing to put its faith in Indy,” said Leonard Hoops, president and CEO of Visit Indy. “We are proud so many media, agents, scouts, coaches, and athletes organically called to keep the event here. And after more than three decades of hosting the Combine, our excitement has only grown when it comes to continuing our work with the NFL and the National Invitational Camp to make the event better every year for all those stakeholders as well as the growing number of fans who want to experience it in person. “